Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Have you ever felt superior to those around you?

Are you guys interested in movies/music/website/TV/book reviews of a rambling type? Not necessarily new (or even new to me)? Because today I think that I am introducing a new category for your reading pleasure. Pigeon Judges. And today my victim is Boys From Brazil. 



I met a professor at a conference who told me he was really into movies and I asked for a recommendation and this is what he gave me. I thought we might be on the same page because I asked him what his favorite movie of the year was and he said AND I QUOTE "Well - It wasn't the King's Speech." Although the recommender seemed to be offended when I said it was an old movie after he told me that it starred Gregory Peck. So it's from the 70s... is that really offensive?

It had Steve Guttenberg in it. SPOILER ALERT - the good thing is he died 10 minutes in. Good, classic flick. Definitely a little slow at first, but well worth the investment. 

So the movie is about Dr. Mengele (nazi dr) who has well ... I don't think I should spoil it anymore than I did with the Guttenberg fate. 

Let's just say that Archer episode made a lot more sense after this movie. 
I am working on a really nice rating system for you guys. Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe fries. Pigeons love french fries. Or am I thinking of seagulls?

Before I move on can I just comment on the "boy" from Brazil. Were they not able to find a child actor that really had blue eyes? Because if you have seen it you'll understand that was pretty integral to the plot and, really, this was a weird looking fellow. I wonder if he has done any other work. HOLD - checking IMDB...  That would be a no.

Also - not worthy of its own post, but I MUST COMMENT on Love & Other Drugs. Worst. Movie. Ever. I suspected from the opening credit notes of Two Princes by the Spin Doctors (which I incidentally had hoped I would never hear again) that I would not make it through this movie. I lasted about 15 minutes until Ann showed her boob in the room then freaked out on Jake. I repeat - Worst. Movie. Ever. And I see a lot of movies. ZERO fries. 
Thank god I didn't make it to this part. I have been pretty tolerant with Jake up until now. Donnie Darko bought him a lot of leeway with me. I tried to forget that I saw Moonlight Mile and that Prince of Egypt trailer.
But now it is OVER.
 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I could not follow all of your comments because I do not know movies, directors, actors like you do, but I thought Love and Other Drugs was TERRIBLE too. As for french fries - all living creatures love fries. let's see how can you use fries as a rating system. I hate over fried fries, or cold fries, or greezy fries- maybe those categories could be for the throw aways??? By the way, I did like the King's Speech. I thought Colin Firth did a great job~ Well, thank you for the enlightening movie review. Momma Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit in a theater!
    I give that "1 extra large side of fries"!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good...