Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

On My Block

"On my block, to hangout was the thang back then"

So, speaking of anticipation, we have been waiting for the Whiteaker Block Party for almost a year, since before we even realized we lived in a neighborhood called Whiteaker. When we first moved to Eugene and were strolling around our new digs, we often mentioned we were new. Almost everyone asked us “Where you here for the Block Party?” Mind you this event had been over a month before we got here, sometimes asked up to six months after it happened. We figured it must have been quite a party.

Whiteaker is the oldest neighborhood in Eugene and often described as “funky” – with both the good and the bad connotations. I have never really lived in a true neighborhood that had its own personality and vibe that was really distinct. I mean, we have our own logo.


I really love this neighborhood, although it can be a little rough around the edges (see aforementioned bimonthly car break-ins and occasional domestic "spats"). Even though giving my address to people is often met with a weird, snobby expression, I love me some Whit. Back in Missoula, my man and I contemplated renting a place for a few months to get the feel for the different neighborhoods before we settled on a place but instead dove headfirst into our little slice of home. 
Really, it's just a happy accident that our awesome realtor got a good feel for us in showing us like 50 houses in a 48 hour spree and found this place for us after we were back in cowboy country. Yeah, you may have heard that we bought our house sight unseen. I can now very confidently say: I know we would have picked Whiteaker. Apparently a lot of the other residents feel the same way about their hood and its never been more obvious than at the block party on Saturday. It makes me feel cheesy, but it makes you feel like a part of a real, vibrant and accepting community. Even if some of the residents just want "anything green helps." Cheers to everyone who organized this event and all the characters that make this place so french toast cool.

 Since my man had to work, it was just me and my trusty sidekick trying to find the Whiteaker parade in the morning. Sidenote: He got a flat on his bike on the way to work. The coworker who dropped him off after work said, and I quote, "Oh, you live in the transient neighborhood!" Nice. I hope that when we have to sell our house, the new buyers don't find this blog. Unless they are cool like us. Just in case they do, I swear, the Emerald Guard JUST called us "up and coming," who cares if the gist of the article was hoping that the revelers would refrain from the open containers in the streets this year. 

We didn't find the parade, I think that it might not have happened. But we had an Eddo burger and it was cool to see the people setting up. I wonder how one gets on the Whiteaker Cocktail Society, I need to become a member of this group. I saw two (1,2) men with hooks instead of hands. And I don't mean those functional useful hooks, these were just for badassness. One of the guys I see around a lot. He wears a Whiteaker leather jacket and his name is Lucky. 
*EDIT - his name is Lefty. 

The real fun didn't start until the evening when my man joined us.... 

The place where we are having our wedding reception is a big sponsor of the Block Party. Along with other favorite neighborhood businesses like Boozeweek and Ninkasi
Just us and our neighbors, closing down the street, milling around. 

Upon closer inspection, I think this dude's hair is real.


Probably just had his hair did. 


This place not decorated special for the block party. 

People in Eugene love stilts.

Lots of fun music, not even sure who these guys were, but the costumes were great. 
Major highlight of the night, Unkle Nancy performance with members of the Family Jewels. This guy was so into it. His big hit, ok the only one I had heard before, is a little brainwashing number called "I'm Not Crazy, You Are." He looked so overheated but he was so great. My other favorite was "If You Don't Drink Ninkasi..." he'll tell you all the bad things that will be happening to you soon, such as "No boys or girls will like you!" and "I'll get a knife and cut you!" Also, please note the flute player brandishing his instrument like a rifle. 
In the audience of that show I saw a girl in a bikini that HAD A RAT IN THE BRA TOP. I am not kidding. I didn't get a pic, but I saw one on Facebook today. 

wares for sale
I got me one, hot off the press!
My man accidently went into this house.... It's called the G Spot. But apparently it is also someone's normal residence. We learned the hard way. I mean, G Spot for a business would be weird enough.
Damn, why does this picture have to be blurry? And, who remembers Echo from Missoula? This guy totally reminded me of him. 
Medical emergency or easy way to get up and down the block?
In Eugene, people also like to build cool stuff and organize these huge parties to show off said cool stuff. 
Back to Territorial, what were you looking for?
Not these guys... I wish I could say I knew them, don't they look like they're having fun?
And the last thing, the fire show! It was amazing. I have never seen anything like it. 

They even had a little Charles Manson looking dude. 


"Oh my block, I wouldn't trade it for the world..."

EDIT: I should have waited until dusk to post. After his nightly dog walk, my man reported some suspicious behavior outside, described to me as "some guy trying on clothes that were in a shopping cart and then strewing them about the yard." Suffice to say, it was not the actual neighbor that lives in that house. Unfortunately, the model decided to start a fire, which led to resisting arrest, which led to his being taken away. Oh, all in a day's work.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun blog to read. I have to admit, I like reading it and don't think I would have liked being there:-) I want to be an armchair Whitaker resident....love, momma bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad hates the stilt walkers. He said, "Those crazy people are at every festival!"

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good...