Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Sometimes I can't believe it...

So, the new Arcade Fire album came out, ya heard?

The album is great. This is just the first song.... I do have to wonder how my darling music nerd superstar Win got so sweaty, I need to know what they played before this one. I love when the camera pulls back and you can see the home video-esque movie in the background. Nerdy facts - my stepbrother went to see Arcade Fire long ago in Portland and after the show the whole band came out on the street and busted out a whole nother set right there on the sidewalk. I wonder if this was a regular occurrence.
I really love this song, this album, this band.
I really love music.
So we did an anticipation show last night, picking songs from albums that my man or I had been breathlessly awaiting on their respective arrival dates. It was really fun thinking back to those special deliveries, back in the days before the mp3... the preorders, the going to the CD store and listening to it on the way home in the car. Some of the remembrances: Use Your Illusion (that was DJPJ), Kid A and then Amnesiac (both of us), just about every Ween album that was released after Chocolate and Cheese... Icky Thump (all pigeon). And the newer stuff: Sky Blue Sky, Infinite Arms, Attack & Release. Also, momma bird requested a sweet old Beatles song and I LOVED thinking about her as a young girl counting down the days to the release of the 45s....
Ok, so neither of us were thinking about Radiohead or the Beatles at these ages, but you get the idea...

And, really, isn't the anticipation at least half the fun?
And I am not talking just about album releases of course.

Sometimes it hardly seems worth it....
But, man, that soup is good.

I have occasionally considered my tendency to live in anticipation, and lack of ability to "live in the moment" as they say, as a bit of a personality flaw. Then I realize how delicious it can be to look forward to those events that are always coming up on the horizon.
The Well Deserved Nap (coming right up).
The Epic Whiteaker Block Party (tomorrow).
The End of My Summer School Class.
Reception for a friend's recent elopement ? eloping ? sweet marriage.   
Trip to Crater Lake.
The Arrival of the Friends & Families... which leads to:
The WEDDING.
The HONEYMOON.
And, then what?

All the rest of it

I am so excited.



2 comments:

  1. Love our pictures. I agree anticipation is lots of fun- sometimes the anticipation is more fun than the actual event, but most of the time the event is the best! Of course, I know I am prejudice, but I don't think you have any flaws... your momma bird.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good...