Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Don't Forget, Sometimes It Goes The Other Way Too.

Um, we just saw The Warriors (for the first time)...
"WE got the streets, suckers! Can you DIG IT?"

I mean, if that doesn't make you want to check it out, I can't do anything for you. But, chances are, you have already seen it, as I've been feeling like the only (two) who missed this gem.
Of course, I was very inspired by the dj/greek chorus. What a blast.
Also, we saw a great documentary last night called Dust & Illusions about the Burning Man Festival. Very enlightening. I have to admit, I did not know there was such a focus on group art creation, which makes it a little cooler, a little more interesting, and not at all any more likely for me to attend. I once had a very heated "discussion" with a friend of my man's who was raving about the 'social experiment' aspect and the bartering society. I did feel bad after I found out he was a local (semi) celebrity who was a big contributer to the committee at the local art museum that my man and I belonged to, but hey, it's a little silly, right? How do you get all that stuff that you 'barter' with at Burning Man? Don't you BUY it with MONEY before you get there? And, you leave no trace right? But where does the trash go when you leave? It's still trash! My CB text book even talks about Burning Man and how it is an anti-consumerist movement.... and we all know - I like to consume. Plus, I thought camping out at Sasquatch for 3 days was roughing it. But it was a neat film and lots of characters and some mind-blowing art (even in a sober movie theater experience that made us feel just a little squarer than usual).

Anyway, here's a new tune for you to listen to while you read along.


"Mach Bach" by Empress Hotel

I am kinda geeken out about cameras today... I have unearthed my lomo after a conversation about art with my man and realizing how long it's been since I have done something creative.

My man is in-deep drawing a comic book for a friend who is writing the story. Am I super jealous and wishing that I was writing the story? No, of course not, why do you ask?
My man has always been into comics, I so have I (to a lesser extent). I used to read all the Disney comics like Uncle Scrooge and all that. But now I have LOVE for Frank Miller and especially Charles Burns. Seriously, have you guys seen Charles Burn's work? We are watching an animated film tonight (?) that he contributed to. Gotta love Portland hipness. We were in the Historical Mississippi neighborhood, trying to buy a dunny (did not happen - man, that store is never open) and ended up at the comic book store (Bridge City, I believe) and then stopped for a coffee. The guy behind the counter saw our purchase and told us about the flick, and did mention three times that you could rent it from the library. Apparently renting movies from the library (can you do that?) is much hipper than, say, having Netflix?

So next week I should have some lomo pics to show off, depending...
Can I find a store to develop real film?
Also, does 120 film that expired 4 years ago still work?
Holga is all about "experimentation."

When I unloaded my beloved, normal Canon EOS camera, I found that I never posted my pics from February on. Valentine's was very nice this year.
We did *not* change our names to Matt and Anne. M & A have moved and this gift certificate has gotten passed around my man's place of work.
His friend asked the group one night: "Does anyone ever go to that art film theater by campus?"
Pigeon: "YES"
Him: "Do you want a gift certific-"
Pigeon: "YES"
We used it to go see my favorite movie of all time, True Romance, the midnight show. I know, it's just too good, right? The big screen?! Did I talk about this already? If I did, I am sorry, but it was really cool.

I made vegan chocolate covered strawberries and Thin Mints (yes, ripped off the Girl Scouts). They didn't turn out too photogenic, but they made up for it in delicious.
You can kinda see the dough in there, chillin.

You may be wondering, why so much time for cooking, cameras, movies, blogging and the like?

I am on spring break. So glad to finished with the quarter and on the (short) countdown to my comprehensive exams, which strike in June. After that, I will no longer be taking courses, only working on papers and my dissertation. 11 weeks away. So this break, I decided to stay in Oregon to get some work done. It's Thursday and no work has been done.
Here's where I was 1 year ago today. 
Driving up to Mt Hood for our weak annual (one) day of snowboarding. It rained the whole way up, but thankfully became snow and pretty near perfect snow by the time we hit the lodge. I felt lucky, especially when F said, "Didn't I tell you last time I skiied at Mt. Hood it was raining?"

Frank never lets me eat here. 
Doesn't it remind you of the Double R? Or is it the RR?

Now we are back and I wanted to give you some big news:

Ninkasi is making 6 packs.

Now I am just bragging. I got this sucka in my hot little hands.
Clear vinyl is not as cool to play as it looks.
Very difficult to see the tracks when you are trying to play something specific live on the radio in a dark studio. No one minds hearing the last 30 seconds of the previous song first, right?

I felt like I had something else I wanted to write about, but maybe I should end here. On the bragging note. Did I mention only 200 of these beauts pressed?
See you next time. 





3 comments:

  1. Interesting blog! More to write later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an ultimate consumer. Debbie asked me the other day if I was a consumer or a shopper. I hate shopping-- I just like buying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! F just said "Sounds like you"

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good...