Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

So Much Good in Every Word: 2011 Best Album(s) #10

Here is the heart of the matter.

I decided to do one/or a few at a time.... keep coming back!
I  '  m     g  o  i  n  g     t  o   s  t  r  e  t  c  h i  t   o  u  t.

Much like "encouraging" my man to take down the Christmas lights, this post had to happen before it is February. Please see last week's post to see some of my other top contenders.
If you haven't seen it - do. swoon. He even raises pigeons.
Sidenote: One time I was buying a postcard of Marlon from Street Car Named Desire and the girl at the register was all "swoon" and I was like "yeah - no kidding." Then she said she was in love with Marlon and qualified it with "Well - back then, not now. Wait, I mean, I know he is dead now, but you know, before.... when he was... well you know..." and I was like, "no, I don't know" because I was messing with her, I totally knew! And she was just like "nevermind." 
I'm pretty sure she was referring to this:
Poor guy - sometimes it's better to burn out than to fade away. And, yes, I am making a sarcastic reference here as well, because I don't like Neil Young. There, I said it. 
 Hmmm
 ~And~
~Without further ado~
My pics of the BEST of 2011 Album releases:
#10 (TIE)
Wilco - The Whole Love 
It's kind of hard for me to not get excited about Wilco. We went to the "release" party at our local record store for this album and dropped the $20+ on the vinyl. It's a quality album. I like it better than Wilco the Album, but not as much as, oh say, all the other Wilco albums. But here's something I do like:


AND, I won the signed Wilco poster! Here is what Tweedy's sig looks like.
But it was still exciting. Plus they were giving out free Pabst!
We are going to see Wilco in one week. The first Wilco show I saw they ran out of beer. I hope that happens again! Because, I can't drink it, see?
What do you think my chances are of an A.M. tune? Slim to none? oh well, I would settle for some YHF - and I know that I'll get it! Actually, She's a Jar would be a dream come true. 
How about making a request in my honor? She's a Jar She's a Jar She's a Jar
Seriously, how cool is this - click me! - the band takes requests..... you could even mention that this could be my LAST show before the baby bird arrives. And look what they tell you after you submit: Thanks, Wilco loves YOU! 
White Denim is opening (and I have to say... D was another contender for a spot on this list... great album).

#10 (TIE)
The Alabama Shakes - Self-Titled EP 
I hope there are no sticklers who have problems with EPs being on this list. I did it last year, so, what you gonna do? The full length comes out in April, so maybe they'll be back here again next year.
So I first heard of this band from Paste, but it was reconfirmed when David Byrne recommended it to me. Personally. Do you think that he found Lissie's Pursuit of Happiness through this blog? I sure like to think so.
This isn't my absolute favorite song on the EP, but seeing as there are only 4 to pick from it's right up there. I wanted to include this one because the filming is great. I can't wait to hear about 8 more on the full length.
I went to high school in Chattanooga which means that I know a sizable number of people in their early 30's who are starting to run things around there. The club (?) where this was filmed owners are about a 1/2 degree separation from me... or is it a degree and 1/2? Anyway, the place is called Track29.

If you can't wait til April, you can download the EP on their facebook. It's throwback and Motown feel (obvs) but there is some real soul in there IMO (see Hold On: "Bless my heart, bless my soul, didn't think I'd make it to 22 years old - Saying come on Brittany - ya got ta come on UP!"). These guys are pretty awesome and seem to totally be enjoying their rapid success... They sold out the Doug Fir!
Mark my words, they gonna be big! 

Stay tuned for #9 coming soon....
HINT:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good...