Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oh, Man is a Giddy Thing

Because my class meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Thursday tends to feel a lot like Friday. And, friends, this weekend started off with a bang. The summer is finally here in Oregon and me and my dog and my Paddy hung out in the yard. It feels fantastic (and weird) to not have a million things hanging over my head. 
My man gets off work around 8:30pm so normally we eat dinner pretty late which is fine. I have recently heard that all that talk about not eating after 8pm is lies and I am happy to believe it. Anyway, my man and I are vegan, which I haven’t written about on here before and this complicates matters as well. This basically means we don’t eat anything that contains animal products, so this includes:


Here’s the good thing. I can still drink this:



I’m just writing this in the spirit of full disclosure, don’t worry I won’t turn this blog into a platform…. BUT if you happen to be curious, here are some other people who are more vocal about this lifestyle.
I happen to try to keep pretty quiet about it (IMHO, others might say the lady doth protest too much). I do like having friends and part of that means not talking about being vegan unless asked. And then only a little. I have a problem with people who are extreme (religion, health, laziness, whatever). Does this make me Kelly "Contradiction" Bensimon? I sure hope not. 

I hate Bethenny, but “Gummy Bears don’t come from the vine” is classic.


Anyway, all this set up is to tell you how we almost forgot our radio show. When my man got home, we decided to walk downtown to have dinner at a place that 1) makes great salads, serves Ninkasi and vegan pizza and 2) will allow my sidekick to dine with us outside. We live about a mile from the place and it seemed like such a good idea at the time. Until Floyd went crazy for a little Australian Shepherd (who would never probably never even give him the time of day) and dumped my entire beer into my salad. Then we realized that we had 20 minutes til the show starts. So basically we had to run home soaked with beer, with a huge and full pizza box and a crazy dog. But, we made it and it was a fun show. We are really happy to officially be in the ‘ok to play’ hours and not have to worry about one or two harmless little Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilos. (On a related note, my man never watched the Bloodhound Gang/ 3 2 1 Contact – what?!)

Also, my man sold a painting yesterday. I’ll miss it… you Missoulians may recognize it as my favorite building in Missoula, the Wilma.



Here's what you have all been waiting for - 
So the real Friday rolls around and we have a wedding to attend. It was for a guy in my man’s band, the illustrious Funk n Balls. After the ceremony, we headed to John Henry’s for a post reception performance.





Yeah, it was still daylight, so what?
Do you think that the reentry stamp is in bad taste? Or badass, punk rock?

Knowing this was the plan, I was startled to receive an invite on Facebook to the Church of Skatin’s annual fundraiser pudding wrestling the same night, time and place as this wedding reception. It all worked out. 

SPOILER ALERT: Knome Mercy was the eventual winnerWe were so close we could smell the pudding.
Am I cut out to be a derby girl?

Tonight is Ms. Whiteaker. 
Oh, man is a giddy thing. 


3 comments:

  1. OMG-- those pictures of the dressed up wrestlers are hilarious! Did you participate- it sounds like your kind of activity- NOT! Congratulations to Frank for selling his painting. I thought that picture of the Wilma was fantastic! The peas look fabulous- yummy.
    sorry to hear that Floyd jerked your pizza and beer table. You need to get that gentle lead leash- or whatever it is. Anyway, thanks for updating your blog. Always love to read about what's going on! ILY, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. And after all this activity you will earn a Phd? Love ya

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fair seems like a place where Dad and I would fit right in. xoxo
    You know how Dad loves Halloween~

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something good...